IPLAC recognizes five prominent Chicago Intellectual Property law firms for their DEI Program Policy
IPLAC is proud to announce and support five prominent Chicago law firms specializing in Intellectual Property – Leydig Voit & Mayer, Loeb & Loeb, Marshall, Gerstein & Borun, McAndrews, Held, & Malloy, Ltd., McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff – embracing a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) policy that includes crediting the efforts of their attorneys, patent agents, technical specialists, and/or other IP professionals on DEI programs toward their respective billable hours (at least 25 hours per year).
IPLAC believes law firms implementing this initiative will increase DEI activities within the Chicago Intellectual Property (IP) community. DEI Activities that are eligible for billable hour credit under each firm’s policy vary but may include:
- Leading and organizing DEI events within the firm or within external legal organizations (Bar Associations, Law School Alumni Committees, etc.)
- Recruiting underrepresented professionals to the firm or profession (e.g., Student Outreach event)
- Mentoring or sponsoring underrepresented professionals
- Organizing DEI CLE activities (apart from attendance and/or instruction)
- Preparation and participation in client-related DEI activity
- Any other DEI activity that can be approved on a case-by-case basis
We welcome other Chicago area law firms to embrace and support this policy within their own respective firms. Supporting our attorneys who foster DEI efforts helps build social coherence and well-being across the Chicago IP community.